How to Keep Your Computer Virus Free
One of the number one questions we get at FreeTechSupport.com is “How do I keep my computer from getting a virus?” Ten to fifteen years ago, viruses were written and set loose to go after big corporations or networks. Now, the bad guys are writing viruses to go after your everyday computer user. Unfortunately, viruses and malware are now used to steal passwords, credit card numbers, social security numbers, and any other personal information that’s on your computer. This is why it’s so important to be cognizant of what going on with your computer at all times.
Another type of computer virus that’s on the rise are Rogue programs. These viruses trick users into purchasing fake software. After users purchase the fake software, their credit card numbers are sold on the black market. Not too mention, the users computer is still negatively affected by the virus.
Keeping your computer virus free is a fairly simple task if you follow a few easy steps.
- Only visit websites you’re familiar with or ones that you have visited in the past.
- Keep your computer up to date by setting your Microsoft updates to automatic.
- Use a good Anti-Virus and set the definitions to automatic updating. We recommend AVG, Avira, or Avast.
- Don’t open any SPAM email. SPAM is a big contributor to the distribution of Malware and Viruses.
- Beware when downloading free programs like games, music, or videos. Downloading free programs comes with a price to pay, be cognizant of the sites you download from.
- Don’t use torrent sites.
If you follow these simple steps, you should be on your way to a virus free computer.
If for some reason you do get infected, feel free to visit our Virus Removal page for help.